myNav

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review - There is No Light in Darkness

Goodreads Summary
A past hidden in darkness. Her present cloaked in secrets. The future holds the only truth that cannot be escaped.

After the mysterious and violent death of her parents, Blake Brennan finds comfort with an unconventional family. As the dramatic loss of her parents continues to haunt her—and hinders her from reciprocating love that others give freely—Blake embarks on a harrowing journey in search for the truth.

Living in a constant state of fear and need for control, vivid nightmares reveal details that lead to perilous situations. The past begins to collide with the present, and Blake must decide if the truth is worth losing the ones she loves.

Can love conquer all as her past comes to light? Or will Blake realize that there is no light in darkness? 

Book contains: Explicit language & sexual content.

 
 Buy on Amazon
Buy on B&N



There is No Light in Darkness… How to begin this review, because I have a lot of things to say. First, thank you Ana Zaun for adding me to Claribel’s Facebook Beta group. That’s right, folks. I got to beta this sucker. And, oh, was it so worth the eye ache I got after staring at my laptop for ten hours straight.

First, I have to commend Claire (I have to call her by her first name. It feels weird referring to any author as Ms. So-and-So when I know them.) for such a wonderful debut.

The book begins with Blake as an adult, but continuously flashes back to her childhood throughout the novel, giving us glimpses into the mystery that surrounds her mother’s death. This worked very well for this story, and it was woven seamlessly. I was never confused as to what was happening, where we were, past or present. The mystery drew me in instantly. I immediately wanted to know what happened to Blake’s mother. The situation behind it was intense and built beautifully as Blake begins to uncover details and the people behind everything.

Blake was strong, loving, vulnerable, and smart. She made mistakes, but she had a good head on her shoulders. Her burning curiosity kept her delving into the delicate details of her mother’s death, but her sense of self-preservation smartly kept her safe when necessary.

Cole. Holy Hot hot hothothot Cole. There are not enough words in the English dictionary to describe the hotness of Cole. He takes the cake on the piles of book boyfriends I’ve accumulated over the years. Not that he’s the Be All End All, but he is definitely in the that atmosphere. And the way he loved Blake… again, no words. He was honest and real and loved from the deepest core of his heart. I could feel it. Yet he was enough of an ass to make you want to just punch him in the arm really hard every now and then.

The rest of Blake’s family/friends make up a very entertaining and loyal band of misfits. They come to life on the page, and I wanted to squeeze each of them and thank them for making me smile.

But mostly, Cole… Okay. Nope. Not going to go there. There have been some recent cat fights in my circle over who is the reigning Mrs. Cole Murphy, and if I talk about him anymore, I’m afraid I will be showing up to work tomorrow with a black eye. So I’ll stop right there.

In all, this novel was awesomesauce, amazeballs, greatness, and a whole ton of other words I don’t really like to say out loud, or type, but I feel like I need to because I loved this story that much. Be on the look out for Claire’s next installment in this series.

Coming Soon!
Find Claire Contreras on Facebook and on Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan!

    I nominated you for the Leibster award!

    Check it out :-)

    http://literarymaniareviews.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to read mostly YA and NA, but I'll keep this book in mine. I does sound good. :)

    ReplyDelete